Monday 9 January 2012

Chicken Talk ... cluck cluck!

A friend asked that a post a chicken recipe and I discovered something about myself. I don't really have anything chicken related that exciting to share. You can put chicken in pasta dishes or stir fry and fajitas.  So I shall describe a meal that the family enjoys aswell as chat about buying chicken for lower cost as I have talked to other mama's who are struggling aswell to feed large families with grocery costs so high. Between job losses or just being a one income or lower income family it really is hard to get by.

First Stuffed chicken. Its a favourite and its simple.

First I buy one chicken breast at the meat market down the street from me. The chicken breast is 5$ and its huge and does not shrink when cooked. Feeds My husband, kids and myself. So after I make that purchase and get it home I insure my cooking area is clean and start workin.
 So now cut a hole through the chicken breast. Stuff cheese in that hole.  Then after that I roll the chicken breast in italian bread crumbs. I buy the big can of those as I often use bread crumbs for chicken legs aswell. Im am looking for my own recipe for bread crumbs so i wont have to buy them.
Put in oven and cook. Cook time should be somewhere around 30 minutes. Clean your cooking area again.   Any side will do with the chicken. I often make rice and whatever vegies I have available.

So I rarily buy boneless skinless chicken breasts. First theres hardly any flavour and second they are expensive. I buy the large packs of chicken legs and wings whenever those go on sale. I can get packs for $3 most weeks which will feed us one meal plus leftovers for hubby to take to work. I  also look for the meats that have the discount sticker on it because its close to expiry. I always check the date first to make sure its not already bad and then freeze right away.  I also watch for sales on whole chickens. Freshco puts them on sale for 5$ once in a while so I always pic up a couple extra. Usually theres a limit so I make hubby go and buy some aswell. We have a large upright freezer so we are able to stock up during really good sales. I usually have a large stash of swiss chalet dipping sauce for this reason.

I know this post is about chicken but I wanted to mention that I also watch for turkeys to go on sale. Back in the fall at Food Basics turkeys were 10$ each and a good size. A small - medium sized turkey will feed us for days and freezes just fine after being cooked. I can't resist a good turkey sandwich and hate processed sandwich meat so this works well for me.

Hopefully cassy enjoys my chicken recipe and families new to being frugal find this helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment